Thursday, May 7, 2015

VELVETY CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP







I am not always a big fan of cauliflower. Depending on how it's cooked, I will either love or hate the dish.  Since it's extremely healthy, I do make an effort to eat it periodically.  I like it roasted, raw, and in soups. Not so much steamed.  When cooking cauliflower, I try to get creative in ways that will bring out the flavors that I do enjoy.

Cauliflower is full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. It's good for the brain, it helps detoxify, it's an anti-inflammatory, great for the heart, and helps fight cancer. To me, these health benefits certainly justify  adding it to my regular diet.

In this soup, I decided to blend it with potatoes to give it a really creamy, luscious texture once blended. I also added some nutritional yeast, which is a great source of B-12 for vegans, and also brings a cheesy flavor to the dish. It turned out really good. Yay for cauliflower! 


VELVETY CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP



Ingredients:


  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 medium golden potatoes, cubed ~ 2 cups (I kept the skin for extra nutrients)
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 6 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
  • 2 teaspoons of herbes de provence
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste




Preparation:

  1. In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil under medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent
  3. Add all the other ingredients, and bring to boil under medium-high heat
  4. Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender
  5. In batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. 
  6. Serve warm

Bon appetit!

This will make 6 servings







No comments:

Post a Comment