I am not always a big fan of cauliflower. Depending on how it's cooked, I will either love or hate the dish. Since it's extremely healthy, I do make an effort to eat it periodically. I like it roasted, raw, and in soups. Not so much steamed. When cooking cauliflower, I try to get creative in ways that will bring out the flavors that I do enjoy.
Cauliflower is full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. It's good for the brain, it helps detoxify, it's an anti-inflammatory, great for the heart, and helps fight cancer. To me, these health benefits certainly justify adding it to my regular diet.
In this soup, I decided to blend it with potatoes to give it a really creamy, luscious texture once blended. I also added some nutritional yeast, which is a great source of B-12 for vegans, and also brings a cheesy flavor to the dish. It turned out really good. Yay for cauliflower!
VELVETY CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium golden potatoes, cubed ~ 2 cups (I kept the skin for extra nutrients)
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of herbes de provence
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil under medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent
- Add all the other ingredients, and bring to boil under medium-high heat
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender
- In batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Serve warm
This will make 6 servings