Thursday, May 14, 2015

STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM STEEL CUT OATMEAL







I used to skip breakfast as I was not hungry in the morning. Back then, I was quite pleased with a coffee in my hand, and it would actually take me quite a while to feel awake. Mornings were just not my thing. Now, I love being up early, I barely ever have coffee, and breakfast is one of my favorite meals.  It's quite funny how we change through the years. I seriously now love breakfast so much that I sometimes have breakfast food for dinner.  Just yesterday, my dinner consisted of a bowl of cereal with homemade cashew milk and berry toppings, and some leftover stuffed peppers. I know, weird combo, but that's what I felt like eating.

One of the thing that I like to eat in the morning is oatmeal.  Not only do I find it delicious, it is also very wholesome. Here are some of the benefits of eating oatmeal:
  • Reduces the risk of high blood pressure
  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Stabilizes blood sugars because it's high fiber content
  • They are full of antioxidants
  • One of it's fibers, he beta-glucan fibers, helps boost the immune system
  • Help maintain a healthy weight by keeping you full longer

Oatmeal is very filling. The density of it keeps me full for quite a while, and they are super versatile and tasty.  You can make so many things with oatmeal: cookies, muffins, hot oatmeal, overnight oats, baked oatmeal, and yes... pancakes (of course the recipe of that one is coming soon!), Adding to that list that they are super nutritious, and it becomes one of my breakfasts of choice!  Today we are having more of a traditional steel cut warm oatmeal, but do not be fooled to think it will be boring as I made it a lot more exciting with strawberries, strawberry puree and a homemade sweet cashew whipped cream. It really was divine! 

Just so you know.. Oatmeal is a whole grain, and naturally gluten free, but it  gets easily contaminated from food facilities that contain wheat products. So if you are avoiding gluten, look for the gluten free labels. :)

This breakfast is pretty decadent. For a healthier version, just skip the whipped topping.






STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM STEEL CUT OATMEAL



Ingredients:



For the oatmeal:

1 cup of steel cut oatmeal
2 cups of water
2 cups of non-dairy vanilla milk (I used homemade vanilla cashew milk)
1/2 cup of strawberry puree (recipe below)
2 tablespoon of chia seeds

For the strawberry puree:

20-25 medium sized strawberries, chopped (3 cups)
2 teaspoons of coconut nectar (or any liquid sweetener of your choice)

For the topping;

8 strawberries, sliced
1 cup of strawberry puree (see recipe below)
1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup of  non dairy whipped cream of your choice (I used coconut whipped cream)  


Preparation:

Make the strawberry puree by putting the strawberries and the coconut nectar in a blender, and puree until smooth. This should give you about 2 cup of puree. 
In a small saucepan, bring the oatmeal, water, milk, and 1 cup of the strawberry puree to a boil under medium high heat. Stir often.
Reduce the heat to minimum, cover, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add the chia seeds, stir, and continue to simmer, covered for another 5 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed, and the oatmeal is creamy and tender.
Split the oatmeal mixture into 4 separate serving bowls.
Top evenly with the remaining strawberry puree, the strawberry slices, the coconut flakes, and a dollop of the whipped cream.

Enjoy!






This will make 4 servings




No comments:

Post a Comment