Non-dairy whipped toppings? Yes please! These two flavors are good enough to bring any whipped cream lover into a heavenly state. They are perfect to use for special occasions, on top of fruits, or on a delightful dessert to impress friends.
The sweet cashew whipped topping is to die for! The color is a little bit of a light caramel, due to the dates in the recipe. However the flavors and textures are so rich.
It definitely is on the sweet side because it is comprised of mostly dates and cashews, yet it is also full of nutrients. Sweet food that nourishes the body... Now that's what I like to get if I am going to indulge! Serve it as a replacement for your dairy whipped cream recipes, or simply on top of fruits.
The coconut whipped cream is very similar to a regular dairy whipped topping, as the texture is very fluffy. You could use a coconut milk can instead of cream (make sure to use the full fat ones). But you will not yield as much as the coconut cream, so you will need to adjust the sweetener and the vanilla quantities. Plus, a lot of the coconut milk companies use guar gum as an ingredient, which emulsifies the cream and the water. Thus the cream does not separate, and it doesn't work. I have personally have had much better results with coconut cream. You can find coconut cream at Trader Joe's, online, or in your local Asian market. Trader Joe's brand works really well.
These are super easy to make. The hardest part is deciding on which one to satisfy your sweet tooth!
HOW TO MAKE NON-DAIRY WHIPPED TOPPINGS
For the sweet cashew whipped topping:
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, ideally soaked in water for 2 hours to overnight
- 3/4 cup of water
- 6 dates, pitted, (if they are hard, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the coconut whipped cream
- 1 can (14 OZ) of coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons of coconut nectar (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the cashew whipped topping:
- In a high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients together until extremely smooth
- Keep refrigerated for up to 6 days..
For the coconut whipped cream;These recipes will make:
- Chill your coconut cream in the fridge overnight
- Remove the can from the fridge without shaking, and remove the lid. The fat and the liquid will have separated, leaving a nice thick cream on top.
- Scoop out the top, thick cream, leaving the liquids (if any) at the bottom
- Place the cream in a mixing bowl, (you might want to chill the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to using it if you live in a warm climate)
- Add the coconut nectar and the vanilla essence to the bowl, and beat with a mixer for about a minute until creamy and smooth.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week for later use.
1 1/4 cups of sweet cashew whipped topping
1 1/2 cups coconut whipped cream