It doesn't get much healthier than this for breakfast: lettuce, quinoa, fruits, and yogurt. It may sound like a strange combo but it came together very well! I started eating leftover quinoa with yogurt a little while ago for breakfast, and I really enjoyed it. I decided to give it a twist and wrap it in lettuce this time. These wraps are not only unique and delicious, but it becomes such a good way to start the day.
Quinoa is surprisingly good for you. Considered a super-food due to it's high nutrient and vitamin content, it is also serves as a complete protein. So where do vegans get their protein you might ask? You got it... quinoa plays a major role. It's not our only major source, as we have many options, but it sure is a great one!
TROPICAL QUINOA BREAKFAST LETTUCE WRAPS
For the wrap:
- 8 medium sized green leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of dried quinoa, rinsed
- 16 oz of non-dairy vanilla yogurt (I used "So Delicious" cultured coconut milk, vanilla flavored)
For the topping:
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- 1 mango, pitted, skin removed and cubed
- 3/4 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a medium saucepan, place the quinoa with 2 cups of water, and bring to boil under medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let it strand for 5 minutes, covered.
- Let the quinoa cool, and fluff with a fork before using.
- Once the quinoa is cool, mix it with the yogurt.
- Place the lettuce leaves on serving plates (2 per plate), "cup" side up, and fill the inside of each with some quinoa. Top evenly with a variety of topping ingredients on each.
- Fold the lettuce over the filling (kind of like a taco) and serve.
This will make 4 servings (8 wraps)