I have always been a chocolate lover to begin with but my desire for it has been greatly amplified throughout this pregnancy. I am seriously craving it all the time!
Even though cake and processed chocolate bars taste awesome, I try to eat things that will nourish my body, while still satisfying my cravings. This smoothie was perfect! Made with pure cacao, which is a super-food with an amazing amount of antioxidants, and a few other wholesome ingredients, I really didn't feel guilty drinking it. I am sure the baby appreciated it too ;)
Do not mistake cacao with cocoa. Cacao is chocolate in it's pure form, unlike cocoa which has been processed and had a lot of it's beneficial nutrients stripped. Other than being extremely high in antioxidants, here are some more benefits of pure cacao:
- Improves heart function
- High in essential fatty acids
- Great source of vitamins and minerals
- Helps manage depression, mood booster
- Detoxify the liver
- Helps increase focus
- Anti inflammatory properties
- High in fiber
I added some bee pollen in my recipe, mostly because it can improve oxygen rich blood cell count by as much as 25%, and that is very important while pregnant. But I understand that in plant-based diets, some people eat them, and some do not. I personally only eat bee pollen and when sick, I have some manuka honey as it is so beneficial and healthy. If you are against it, just omit it, it will not change the taste much. I totally respect your choice.
CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup vanilla, non-dairy milk of your choice (I used my own vanilla cashew milk)
- 2 frozen bananas, sliced into large coins
- 1/4 cup of pure cacao
- 1/4 cup of natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of bee pollen (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds
- In a high speed blender, mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Serve immediately
This will make one smoothie