Wednesday, May 27, 2015

CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE





I have always been a chocolate lover to begin with but my desire for it has been greatly amplified throughout this pregnancy. I am seriously craving it all the time! 

Even though cake and processed chocolate bars taste awesome, I try to eat things that will nourish my body, while still satisfying my cravings. This smoothie was perfect!  Made with pure cacao, which is a super-food with an amazing amount of antioxidants, and a few other wholesome ingredients, I really didn't feel guilty drinking it.  I am sure the baby appreciated it too ;)


Do not mistake cacao with cocoa.  Cacao is chocolate in it's pure form, unlike cocoa which has been processed and had a lot of it's beneficial nutrients stripped.  Other than being extremely high in antioxidants, here are some more benefits of pure cacao:

  • Improves heart function
  • High in essential fatty acids
  • Great source of vitamins and minerals
  • Helps manage depression, mood booster
  • Detoxify the liver
  • Helps increase focus
  • Anti inflammatory properties
  • High in fiber
I added some bee pollen in my recipe, mostly because it can improve oxygen rich blood cell count by as much as 25%, and that is very important while pregnant.  But I understand that in plant-based diets, some people eat them, and some do not.  I personally only eat bee pollen and when sick, I have some manuka honey as it is so beneficial and healthy.  If you are against it, just omit it, it will not change the taste much.  I totally respect your choice.





CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE


Ingredients:


  • 1 cup vanilla, non-dairy milk of your choice (I used my own vanilla cashew milk)
  • 2 frozen bananas, sliced into large coins 
  • 1/4 cup of pure cacao
  • 1/4 cup of natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon of bee pollen (optional)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds


Preparation:


  1. In a high speed blender, mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
  2. Serve immediately







This will make one smoothie

















No comments:

Post a Comment