Sunday, April 12, 2015

WHITE BEAN AND YELLOW BEET HUMMUS



In my blog earlier this week, I showed you how to roast beets. If you missed it, click on this link to learn the technique for this wonderful and easy recipe:
Roasting beets

Today, we are going to integrate them into a new recipe. As good as they are on their own, their unique characteristics can add a lot of flavors to dishes.
Beets are often seen in salads with oranges, as the distinction of their flavors work really nicely together. So I decided to make a hummus style dip with one of my yellow roasted beets, and added orange juice to it instead of oil. It turned out wonderfully! Although hummus is traditionally made with chickpeas, any beans can be used to make exceptional flavors and texture. Here, I used white beans for their delicate texture and light flavor, so that the roasted beets aroma would shine.

I knew I had a winner when my sister, who usually doesn't like beets nor hummus, enjoyed the dish. You can use it as a dip or as a spread on toasted bread with some type of toppings.   I am thinking avocados, tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, or even roasted asparagus would make great toppings on top of open an face style sandwich spread with this dip. Oh my... I am getting  hungry thinking about it...


WHITE BEAN AND YELLOW BEET HUMMUS

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of cooked white beans (about 2/3 of a cup dried)
1 roasted yellow beet, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/3 cup of tahini
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Put all the ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
Serve with sliced veggies, pita bread or as a spread.

Bon appetit!







No comments:

Post a Comment