Thursday, April 2, 2015

CURRIED SPLIT PEA, SWEET POTATO, AND SPINACH SOUP



I love having homemade soups in my fridge, as it seems to be something that everyone can enjoy at anytime of day when hungry. I remember my grand mother making soup every morning. There was always some available for us whenever we came to visit.  She lived to be 107, so i'd like to think there is a longevity secret to eating homemade soups :) !
I try to be pretty good at using up  all of my available produce. I did have a lot of sweet potatoes and spinach left, so something curried seemed like the right choice in this situation. Since I was out of soup at the time, I didn't have to try too hard to get inspired on what I was going to make! Enjoy!

CURRIED SPLIT PEA, SWEET POTATO, AND SPINACH SOUP

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons of curry
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1/4 teaspoon of garam masala
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed in about 1/2-3/4 inches pieces (about 3 cups)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup of green split peas
7 cups of veggie broth
2 cups of chopped spinach
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and pepper to taste


Preparation:


In a large pot, heat up the olive oil under medium heat, and saute the onions, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala for 3-5 minutes until the onions are tender and full of aroma from the spices.
Add the celery, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and veggie broth.  Bring to boil, then reduce and simmer 1/2 covered for about 1 hour (or until the split peas are tender).
Add the spinach and lemon juice, and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve warm into individual bowls

This will make 6 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment