Tuesday, April 28, 2015

CREAMY BROWN RICE SPAGHETTI W/EDAMAME, KALE, AND BROCCOLI



Cooking for vegans is easy because they are used to eating the variety of foods that a plant based diet offers.  Now cooking for meat eaters can sometimes be tricky.  Some will be open minded, and looking forward to try new dishes, while others will want food as close as possible to what they are used to eating. I had family over a few weeks ago, and they were a mix of both types, so I decided to play it safe and offered them a pasta dish. I don't eat pasta often, but I find it quite delicious, however not as healthy as I would like it to be.  But when I make some, I personally prefer the gluten free brown rice pasta, or the quinoa ones,as I feel like they are a little healthier.

So I made this dish for my family, and it was a success.  Everyone loved it, including the picky eaters. So I really wanted to share the recipe with you all but unfortunately, I didn't take any pics at the time and we ate the whole batch. This week, I decided to recreate it.  It is one of those dishes that you sit down and think, 'wow this is yummy" at almost every bite. So obviously it's worth remaking!

If you have a meal you want to make for a non-vegan, or simply want to splurge on a velvety bowl of pasta, I would highly recommend you try this,  You can thank me later ;)





CREAMY BROWN RICE SPAGHETTI W EDAMAME, KALE, AND BROCCOLI

Ingredients:

8 oz package of spaghetti (I used brown rice pasta)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 leek, white part only, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
1 cup of frozen edamame, thawed (preferably organic to avoid GMO's)
3 kale leaves, stems removed, chopped coarsely
2/ 3 cup of white wine
3/4 cup of veggie broth
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups of cashew cream (click How to make cashew milk and cashew cream to see the easy method)
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/8 of teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer's instruction on the package.
Drain and reserve once ready.
In the mean time in a large stir fry pan, heat the olive oil under medium heat.
Add the leeks and garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes until they become translucent.
Add the broccoli and saute another 4-5 minutes.
Add the kale and the edamame, saute 2-3 minutes, then add the white wine.
Saute the veggies in the wine until it's almost fully absorbed, for another 3-5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
Put the reserved spaghetti into the sauce, and cook a few minutes, mixing everything together, until the cream sauce thickens, and the pasta is all covered.
Serve warm into individual plates.

This will make 4 servings








No comments:

Post a Comment