I hear people worrying about not getting enough protein in their diet, when in fact, many people are getting too much. What I do not hear, is people worrying about getting enough fiber. Fiber plays such a vital role in our body functions, and should not be overlooked.
They are quite easy to integrate as part of your meals, as they are mostly found in grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies. Here's a few reasons why fiber is so important:
- Fiber feeds the good bacteria in your intestine. Also known as the "gut flora". Those bacteria strengthen our immune system and help us fight diseases.
- They help regulate digestion and reduce constipation.
- They lower the risk of many cancers, especially colon cancer.
- They reduce the rate of heart disease and cholesterol.
- They leave you feeling full longer, therefore being great for weight loss.
- They reduce blood sugar spikes after a high carbohydrate meal.
I like drinking smoothies, especially in the morning. But often time, I find them too sugary, and not nutritious enough. A good way to make your smoothies healthier is to skip the sugars, and add fibers to it. Berries, spinach, chia seeds, nuts, oatmeal, and flax seeds are some of my favorite add-ons to boost the fiber content of my morning drink.
This smoothie is all about fiber rich food, and the best part is, it taste amazing. So get your blender ready and enjoy!
FIBER RICH BERRY SMOOTHIE
1 cup of frozen mixed berries
1 frozen banana
2 tablespoons of gluten free old fashion oats
1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds
1/2 tablespoon of flax seeds
1 1/2 cup of water
In a high speed blender, mix all of the ingredients together until very smooth.
This will make one large smoothie