Tuesday, June 23, 2015

CAJUN CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP





So I was at the farmer's market last weekend just as they were about to close. One of the merchants had only a few things left for sale: a few gigantic zucchinis, a few eggplants, and some hot peppers. They really didn't want to bring them back so they let me have it all for an amazing deal... $4 for the whole lot. They were organic as well! I felt like I had won the lotto.

The size of the zucchini's were unreal; one of them was nearly 2 foot long! I was a bit worried about how the insides would look like as I thought they would be mushy and have a lot of seeds.  But they were surprisingly firm, with only a moderate amount of seeds. I have a feeling there will be a few recipes with zucchini in my near future!  

Since the size of those zucchinis were pretty unusual, I cannot tell you exactly how many to buy, but I did measure 6 cups of them for the soup. So the quantity will depend on how large yours are. Usually between 4-6 should be enough, but like I said, since mine were the largest I have ever seen, I used only 1/2 of the largest one.  That should give you an idea of how big of a green monster I dealt with.

This soup has a really nice little kick.  If you are into spicy food, this will be right up your alley.








CAJUN CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP


Ingredients:


  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 6 cups of zucchini, chopped
  • 2 cups of red potatoes (I left the skin on as this is where most of the nutrients are), cubed
  • 1 roma tomato, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 5 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste

The large one was almost 2 feet long!




Preparation:


  1. In a large pot, heat up the olive oil under medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and garlic, saute 4-5 minutes until translucent
  3. Add the zucchinis, the potatoes, the tomatoes, and the jalapeno, and saute for 3-4 minutes
  4. Add the vegetable broth, the Cajun seasoning, the paprika, the cumin, the salt, and the pepper, and bring to a boil.
  5. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium- low, and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
  6. Puree the soup in a blender (you might need to do this in a few batches).
  7. Serve warm






Enjoy! 

This will make 6 servings








No comments:

Post a Comment