Tuesday, July 12, 2011

VEGGIE SOUP



VEGGIE SOUP

I love soups. I could eat soups on a daily basis and never get tired of it! In fact, I did when I was growing up... my grandmother used to make me a soup everyday for lunch along with something else. That's probably why I have a soft spot for them. I miss my grandma! She was the best. :)
In this filling soup I used Chickpeas for proteins (there are 14.5g of proteins per cup) and broccoli rabe which is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Most dark greens have excellent nutritive values and this one brings a really nice flavor to the soup.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
I small onion, diced small
1 leek cut in half and cut small, white part only
3 celery stalks, diced small
4 medium carrots, diced small
1 zucchini, diced small
6 button mushrooms cleaned and diced small
1 cup broccoli rabe, chopped small, stem removed (kale or spinach would also work)
1 1/2 cup cooked chickpea
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (14.5oz)
8 cups veggie broth
3 oz. brown rice vermicelli
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon parsley
1 bay leaf
pinch of cayenne
pepper to taste

Preparation

In a large soup pot, heat the oil and cook the onions and leeks 3-4 minutes under medium heat.
Add the celery and carrots and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add the zucchini, mushrooms and broccoli rabe, stir fry another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms soften.
Add all the other ingredients, bring to boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer at medium-low for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Makes 8 servings

Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment